Glorious St. Joseph, model of all who are devoted to labor, obtain for me the grace to work in the spirit of penance in expiation of my many sins; to work conscientiously by placing love of duty above my inclinations; to gratefully and joyously deem it an honor to employ and to develop by labor the gifts I have received from God, to work methodically, peacefully, and in moderation and patience, without ever shrinking from it through weariness or difficulty to work; above all, with purity of intention and unselfishness, having unceasingly before my eyes death and the account I have to render of time lost, talents unused, good not done, and vain complacency in success, so baneful to the work of God. All for Jesus, all for Mary, all to imitate thee, O patriarch St. Joseph! This shall be my motto for life and eternity. - Prayer of Pius X

Friday, November 7, 2008

Martyr? Where? Who let that happen?




Have a look at this news story hitting the mainstream media at CNN.com about security at church services.

Here's a link to the new business of Church Security.

How long is it until someone is mistaken for a terrorist at the altar call?

4 comments:

__REV__ said...

This is a fascinating question and one that does not have easy answers.

Jesus calls us to the way of the cross, the way of the martyr as some of these blog posts have been alluding to.

Simultaneously, the church is called to carry on the banner championing the widow, the orphan, the homeless, the imprisoned, the addict, the poor, the hungry.....

And so when the gun man came to New Life Church in Colorado and the security guard shot him, people applauded. On the one hand, the guard protected "the innocent." On the other hand, the guard (and the church that hired the guard) was clearly NOT living the way of the cross.

Question: where is the line between protecting the innocent/marginalized AND living the life of the martyr/the way of the cross???

I'm wrestling with finding that line. Thoughts?

REV

Adam VW said...

My response is too brief to be fair but let me a) suggest Robert W. Brimlow's book What About Hitler? (Grand Rapids: Brazos Press, 2006) and b) ask rhetorically, "Would not the response St. Peter received in his seeking to protect the Innocent be paradigmatic for those built upon that self-same Rock?"

Again, I apologize for the brevity of my response (which I hope does not come across as coy) to what is certainly a question deserving more than I can presently give it. Perhaps, for now, Brimlow can be of further assistance.

Tim said...

Here is my question: who was more prepared to meet their Maker - the gunman or those worshipping the Lord?

__REV__ said...

Amen. Thanks Tim.

REV