Glorious St. Joseph, model of all who are devoted to labor, obtain for me the grace to work in the spirit of penance in expiation of my many sins; to work conscientiously by placing love of duty above my inclinations; to gratefully and joyously deem it an honor to employ and to develop by labor the gifts I have received from God, to work methodically, peacefully, and in moderation and patience, without ever shrinking from it through weariness or difficulty to work; above all, with purity of intention and unselfishness, having unceasingly before my eyes death and the account I have to render of time lost, talents unused, good not done, and vain complacency in success, so baneful to the work of God. All for Jesus, all for Mary, all to imitate thee, O patriarch St. Joseph! This shall be my motto for life and eternity. - Prayer of Pius X

Friday, January 23, 2009

Entertaining Angels

Mick told me a story yesterday. Last Saturday, Gail was up at the church and a cab pulled up. Out stepped a man with some papers in his hand, and he was a wreck. Sobbing, he told her that he had just been released from the mental health facility in Butner. His papers verified this, and it was apparent, and he agreed, that he was in no shape to be released. At any rate, somehow either he or the cab driver had heard about our little church, and he had been dropped off “for us.” Gail made him a sandwich and said he was welcome to hang around.

I’ve not seen this man, but this is not the first time people released from Butner have made St. Joe’s their first stop. I have no idea how they find out about us or what they expect to find when they get here. Most of the time we are singularly unprepared for them and unable to do anything other than feed them and offer them the church grounds for a place to lay their head. But it appears there is some word on the street that you can always go to St. Joseph’s.

This is anything but a pat on our back. If anything, it should make us aware that God is often sending his outcast our way. And I think he intends for us to care for them all.

Lord, have mercy.



1 comment:

__REV__ said...

Entertaining angels unawares indeed.

AND Matthew 25 rings from the towers of cathedrals to the faithful gathered underground!

Yes!

Wonderful!!!

Jesus' church becomes known as "the" place for the poor in spirit, the meek, the mourners, the persecuted, the rejects, the naked, the imprisoned, the addicted, the afflicted, the hungry... YES YES YES!

Hmmm.... something smacks of kingdom here. Let me see if I can place my finger on it... hmmm...

REV

In awe of God's work among you