Glorious St. Joseph, model of all who are devoted to labor, obtain for me the grace to work in the spirit of penance in expiation of my many sins; to work conscientiously by placing love of duty above my inclinations; to gratefully and joyously deem it an honor to employ and to develop by labor the gifts I have received from God, to work methodically, peacefully, and in moderation and patience, without ever shrinking from it through weariness or difficulty to work; above all, with purity of intention and unselfishness, having unceasingly before my eyes death and the account I have to render of time lost, talents unused, good not done, and vain complacency in success, so baneful to the work of God. All for Jesus, all for Mary, all to imitate thee, O patriarch St. Joseph! This shall be my motto for life and eternity. - Prayer of Pius X

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Because the Real Reason to Help the Poor...

...is that it is a boost to the economy. See the story here.
Please forgive the sarcastic cynicism, but perhaps the poor would be better served if the relationship of poverty to our capitalist economy could properly be named as being of an entirely different sort. At any rate, it's nice to see that altruism (on behalf of the economy, of course) is on the rise.

1 comment:

Adam VW said...

I will concede that I am not being entirely charitable to Mrs. Thompson and her husband. But, aside from the irony inherent in trying to boost the economy by helping the poor, the tone of the article cited, the manner in which the whole story was framed (to mix my metaphors), is something I found deeply irksome. I am happy that Ms. Hughes now has a roof over her head, but the portrayal provided in the article cited surely warrants the raising of an eyebrow at minimum.