Glorious St. Joseph, model of all who are devoted to labor, obtain for me the grace to work in the spirit of penance in expiation of my many sins; to work conscientiously by placing love of duty above my inclinations; to gratefully and joyously deem it an honor to employ and to develop by labor the gifts I have received from God, to work methodically, peacefully, and in moderation and patience, without ever shrinking from it through weariness or difficulty to work; above all, with purity of intention and unselfishness, having unceasingly before my eyes death and the account I have to render of time lost, talents unused, good not done, and vain complacency in success, so baneful to the work of God. All for Jesus, all for Mary, all to imitate thee, O patriarch St. Joseph! This shall be my motto for life and eternity. - Prayer of Pius X

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Breakfast

MP and breakfast as usual. JR was absent looking into a post-doc opportunity he has at UNC. So at prayer were Adam, Trevor and I, among the usuals, and Emily, who is in the catechesis class, and Jimmy.

After prayer we all walked over to the parish hall and took the normal refrigerator items into the microwave: grits and sausage, coffee cake and Megan's pigs in blankets. I started a pot of coffee perking. (Only occasionally do people really drink the coffee but for some reason it makes me feel good to have that sound and smell around.)

Eddie came in after a while and grabbed some sox and bit to eat. Crete walked by the window as he is wont to do and I brought him out a plate of grits and his hot sauce. Jimmie told me he was looking "to get up out of North Carolina", but he wasn't exactly sure where he was going. He asked if I could help him get a Grey Hound ticket. I have to confess that I find Jimmy one of the most circumspect of our beggars, but I suppose that this makes it even more imperative that I give to him without any scruples.

1 comment:

__REV__ said...

Colin said:
"Only occasionally do people really drink the coffee but for some reason it makes me feel good to have that sound and smell around"

I think I may know at least part of the "some reason"... my memory wafts back to a time when you first started at Dunn Bros. and I (the non-coffee drinker) walked in and ignorantly order a "cappacina mocha" - not only a contradiction in terms and getting the name wrong to boo, but also a moment that brought a tremendous smile to your face - it is a sweet memory I shall not forget (at least for many days to come).

A second memory of coffee is the coffees you'd bring with you to our one on ones with my daughter either eating your keys or attempting to drink your coffee. No matter how much you attempted to hide it from her, that smell fascinated her as well. Alas, she is now older and - like her father - does not at all care for the taste of the drink. But we both still love the smell.

Thanks for the memories! It was wonderful to explore them. Oh and as for Sunday... GO HEELS!

REV