Glorious St. Joseph, model of all who are devoted to labor, obtain for me the grace to work in the spirit of penance in expiation of my many sins; to work conscientiously by placing love of duty above my inclinations; to gratefully and joyously deem it an honor to employ and to develop by labor the gifts I have received from God, to work methodically, peacefully, and in moderation and patience, without ever shrinking from it through weariness or difficulty to work; above all, with purity of intention and unselfishness, having unceasingly before my eyes death and the account I have to render of time lost, talents unused, good not done, and vain complacency in success, so baneful to the work of God. All for Jesus, all for Mary, all to imitate thee, O patriarch St. Joseph! This shall be my motto for life and eternity. - Prayer of Pius X

Friday, April 17, 2009

Reporting as Advertising

Today CNN.com has an article about a woman who kicked a crack cocaine habit. What strikes me about the article is that it is mostly an advertisement for Mothers Making a Change, a 12-step program developed by AA. It is certainly wonderful that the folks at AA have the insight to design programs that can address the problem and, at least often, succeed. But from a journalistic standpoint, it's sort of an odd piece. The article bears more generic resemblance to an info-mercial than anything else. 

What else should it be, you ask? I suppose there is nothing wrong with info-mercials on news sites. On the other hand, it might be nice to see some reporting on how successful the program is or what other programs there are like it and how successful they are. It's also interesting to me that there is never any mention of a significant relationship during her drug use (after her husband's suicide) besides that of mother and child.  There appears to be no one there giving her hope or urging her to walk away from the drugs.

So, I might have asked the journalist to provide a little more detail into her world besides just "Wow, she was screwed up! But look she clawed her way out with the help of this 12-step program". The article is for the most part creating a spectacle. I see people rather too often who probably aren't too far from her condition. Most of them are now homeless, and almost never for the same reason (unless you want to reduce it ultimately to drugs, but I think that is a useless reduction). These people don't self-destruct in a vacuum. There is a whole society bustling around them. So, why do we write about these things as if it bears no connection with our daily lives?

As a friend of ours put it, one of the main problems is that these folks "ain't got no people." 


They're alone.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

You raise good questions, J.R. Our whole society is broken. The addicted or homeless person is simply one of the symptomatic ones. A 12 step program might relieve the symptoms but not the underlying disease.

__REV__ said...

I don't know what to think of media anymore. Once CNN started covering Paris Hilton's life more than the war in Iraq I gave up hope for most mass media.

My primary source of news now often comes from comedians. Is that good or bad? Maybe I need a 12 step program!

REV